by Jan 12, 2021 | Cannabis, Cannabis Concentrates|
Dabbing heats concentrate without burning it. Users experience a THC high, but without the harsh smoke or the smell of cannabis on clothes and hair. Therefore, learning how to hit a dab pen can improve your overall experience.
There was a time when the only way to dab was to heat a nail using a blow torch, apply a ball of wax concentrate to it, and inhale the vapors through a bong. Thankfully, the invention of dab pens has made it simpler for anyone who wants to enjoy the sleek and intense high of concentrates without having to master that elaborate process.
How to Hit a Dab Pen
First, you’ll need:
- A dab pen – you’ll want a good quality dab pen to get the most from your concentrate, so don’t cut corners
- A dab tool – you can buy a metal or glass dabber, or use anything that is long, thin, and the right shape to scoop a small dab of concentrate
- Dab concentrate – also referred to as wax, dabs, shatter, budder, or butane hash oil (BHO)
A dab pen usually consists of five pieces – the mouthpiece, coil cap, coil, power button, and battery unit.
Here’s our guide to how to hit a dab pen the right way the first time.
1. Make sure your dab pen is fully charged
There’s nothing worse than running out of battery when you’ve still got valuable THC to enjoy.
2. Remove the mouthpiece and coil cap
This will give you access to the coil inside. It will be exposed, but you may not be able to see it.
3. Collect a wax ball with the dab tool
Scoop up a blob of concentrate that’s about the size of a grain of rice. Size is important, as underpacking will result in having to use more wax, whereas overpacking may mean the wax doesn’t get fully used up.
4. Drop the wax down onto the coil
Carefully load the chamber with the concentrate. Even if you can’t see the wax in there, you can gently poke around to feel it.
5. Turn on the dab pen
Every dab pen has a power button – light it up!
6. Optional: If your dab pen has a temperature function, set the heat
A temperature of 350°F is usually perfect for extracting the best flavors without producing too intense a high or burning the concentrate. As you dab a few more times with the pen, check out this guide and experiment with different temperatures.
7. Screw the pen closed again and press the fire button
By briefly touching on the fire button, you’ll warm the wax a little, causing it to sink down evenly onto the coil.
8. Hold down the fire button and inhale through the mouthpiece
The coil will melt the wax, which is then absorbed by a wick and turned into vapor. You’ll want to inhale this vapor in a steady puff. If there’s any concentrate left afterward, wait a few seconds before pressing the fire button again, so it doesn’t overheat and burn.
The Art of Discreet Dabbing
Many dab pens look like regular vapes but they deliver a higher potency high, and without a cloud of smoke trailing after you. Although they can take a little time to get used to, dab pens are an excellent lowkey way to inhale THC on the go.